Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Music to my ears...




"We're not arrogant, we just believe we're the best band in the world."

This is one of my beloved quotes made by Noel Gallagher, a member from my favourite band named OASIS.

Oasis is an English rock band that was formed in Manchester in 1991. Originally known as The Rain, the group was formed by Liam Gallagher (vocals and tambourine), Paul Arthurs (guitar), Paul McGuigan (bass guitar) and Tony McCarroll (drums, percussion), who were soon joined by Liam's older brother Noel Gallagher (lead guitar and vocals).


A little more about them...

As of June 2009, Oasis had sold over 70 million records worldwide. They have had eight UK number-one singles, seven UK number-one albums, fifteen NME Awards, nine Q Awards, four MTV Europe Music Awards and five BRIT Awards, including one in 2007 for outstanding contribution to music.

In 1995, the band recorded the critically acclaimed '(What's the Story) Morning Glory?' with their new drummer Alan White' while the Gallagher brothers were featured regularly in tabloid newspapers for their sibling disputes and wild lifestyles. The band lost members Paul McGuigan and Paul Arthurs as they went on to record and release 'Standing on the Shoulder of Giants' in 2000 and were replaced by Gem Archer and Andy Bell who joined the group for the recording of 'Heathen Chemistry' in 2002.

The band found renewed success and popularity with their albums Don't Believe the Truth and Dig Out Your Soul and their supporting tours.
In August 2009, Noel Gallagher announced his departure from the band. Liam Gallagher initially stated that Oasis were "done", but later announced that the remaining members of the band would continue to record music, and did not rule out the possibility of retaining the Oasis name. As of December 2009, the new band's tentative name was Oasis 2.0.

I like the 'OASIS style!'

My friend introduced me to OASIS sometime back. I doubted the band initially because it was an old band and I was more into pop and rock music. After listening to a few of OASIS's songs however, my mindset about them changed. I was won over and you know what? I became their avid fan in no time.

But what's the draw? I think its in the lyrics of their songs. I love their hits like Songbird, Stand By Me, Live Forever, Sunday Morning Call, Wonderwall, Don't Go Away etc. while Songs like Whatever and All Around The World are extremely inspiring too.
Stop The Clocks is a sentimental yet meaningful one while Songbird is a cheerful serenade. Still Whatever is my favourite because it touches me and let you be as free as a bird after listening to it. In the nutshell, it says that one could be whatever he or she wants to be if only one could break through all the obstacles in the way. Failure may occur but if one persists, one would eventually reach one's dreams.
There are many more songs like this which have morals behind them and are worth listening to. This is also one of the many reasons why I love OASIS's creations so much.

OASIS is so easy on the ears. I take it with me everywhere I go - on the bus, at home, in the library, while doing homework...

Although OASIS has already split up and Noel has already left the group, it is still living in my heart and has my fullest support.



All The Way, Old boys,
Joel

0 comments: